Wednesday, December 22, 2004

 

We are now sufficiently...

...tomatoed and Parmesaned and green onioned and pumpkin cheesecaked and even frozen raspberried (it occurred to me that raspberry sauce would be wonderful on the cheesecake) for Christmas. Costco had replenished their supply of pork loin roasts (although there were no small ones) but as I passed the refrigerated compartment I glanced at them and thought, "Nah, what we're having is much better and personal, just the two of us eating stuff we love. No obligatory meat slabs this year."
    When I finally awoke Mom she ushered me into yet another of her "Why get up?" days. Because the living room was so sunny this morning despite the cold outside, I set her up there for breakfast. She took a loooong time, to get to the bathroom and lingered over bathing by trying hard not to bathe. I think despite calling her at noon straight up she actually ate breakfast around 1330. Could have been 1345. She lingered through that, too. Couldn't even get a Sorry game out of her. She read a lot, though. After her cranberry juice and herding her into the bathroom to brush her teeth she decided it was nap time. Although I asked her outright if she was bored, to which she answered, "No! I'm tired!", I decided not to snip. She looks rosy enough. Her circulation is excellent, no unusual aches or pains, no constipation as far as I know. I guess she's just feeling old. And, maybe, a little bored, although it's personally enforced boredom. It's not like I haven't tried. Maybe I should pull a few days of nothing but writing and keeping a cursory eye on her, "leave her alone, and she'll come home, wagging her tail behind her."
    Sometimes I wonder what she is getting out of life now, especially during times like these. I guess that's one of those Ancient Secrets that can't be passed on, it has to be lived.
    I decided to drop back to taking her blood pressure once a day when she's settled in her rocker just before dinner. If it seems steady enough over a week or so I won't bother irritating her three times a day with the wrist cuff and the instructions unless I notice worrisome changes.
    I've been checking on her every twenty minutes or so. She's sleeping deeply. I remember when I lived alone, maybe every six months or so I'd take out a day, sometimes a whole weekend and spend most of it with Morpheus, lolling in and out of my sub- and unconscious. I believe I got that from her.
    And, maybe tonight will be a really late night for her. Those are always fun.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?