Tuesday, December 14, 2004

 

I receive daily through email...

...a set of quotes from beliefnet.com. I read them or not, depending on whether the titles perk my interest. This morning's "Inspirational" subject line contained the words "Old age", so I opened the e to the following:
Old age, to the unlearned, is winter; to the learned, it’s harvest time.
--Yiddish saying
    Although I don't consider that my mother is "wintering", despite how closely I observe and live with her Ancienthood, I have no idea if she considers this period her "harvest time" nor what she would consider the contents of her harvest. I live with her. I am so familiar with her I sometimes smell her when I'm away from her. I know a myriad of details about what she likes and doesn't like, what allows her to feel safe and comfortable and loved (although, in tribute to my mother, even when these details aren't present she feels safe and comfortable and loved) but I have not cracked through, and, as I realized this morning, probably won't (until I'm Ancient, if I am), to the essential mystery of Ancienthood. I think everyone who has yet to embark on Ancienthood is one of the "unlearned" and we do not become "learned" until we find ourselves in Ancienthood.
    Thus, I have to assume that this saying was proposed by an Ancient One. If it wasn't, then those of us who tend to and love our Ancients from outside their experience still have no idea where the key to their mystery lies.
    I'll ask my mother what she thinks of this quote. I'll report back if I remember (eventually I will). I may not understand what she has to say.
    Which reminds me, yesterday morning I read her the "You've Got to Give a Little..." More. I wasn't sure what her reaction would be, whether she would even pay attention, but she did, she nodded throughout, smiled at some parts. When I finished she said, "Very good! You know, only caregivers will recognize themselves. No one else will."
    I hadn't thought about it but I'm sure she's right.
    Oh well. And another one rides the bus.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?