Friday, November 26, 2004

 

Although neither of us knows whether the raspberry pie is passable...

...the ham, baked yams, pea salad and superb fresh sweet basil bread, sliced, spread with garlic herb butter, sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan and grilled, were extraordinary. Not that we stuffed ourselves. Since Mom didn't awaken until 1100 we ate dinner around 2000. It's typical in our family to delay dessert. By the time dinner and the movie The Terminal were over both of us were too satisfied to enjoy dessert so decided we'd have raspberry pie for dinner tomorrow evening. It baked up suspiciously good, smelled like raspberries...maybe Sara knows what she's doing.
    Dinner was easy, requiring no more than an hour and a half prep time, thus I was able to get in a much needed nap today. For the last two mornings I've been hacking back our pyracantha bushes (more like super weeds), putting my muscles to the test behind one of my father's old saws that should have been sharpened decades ago and scratching my hands, gloved though they were, beyond recognition. Today my upper body was protesting, "What the fuck did you think you were doing out there?!? If you can get your mother down for awhile, lay me down, too!" So, I did, beneath a blanket of ibuprofen for three hours. I'm feeling much better. Which means, of course, that my mother slept her ass off today, but, well, she was in good spirits while she was up, even volunteered that she enjoyed the movie. Usually I have to pry an opinion out of her but this one impressed her. We talked about how it reminded both of us of Frank Capra's stuff with a veil of light gray over the end. I'll try it on her at least once more before I return it. I'm thinking, considering her reaction, this might be a keeper.
    I've been thinking about some of the stuff in a recent comment all day (when I wasn't asleep). I think I might be writing an essay or at least a somewhat more organized than usual post about it tomorrow if I don't get completely caught up in my project. Stay tuned. One way or another, it will be entitled, "What you can buy, and what you can't", or something like that. But, you know, I'm tired and satisfied and I've got a Little Girl on my lap warming me into thoughts of sleep, so...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?