Saturday, November 27, 2004

 

Ah, yes, the raspberry pie.

    Turns out Sara Lee doesn't make a passable raspberry pie. I'm not sure what caused it to smell like raspberries while it was baking but it didn't taste like raspberries. It didn't taste like much of any kind of fruit, berry or not, so we dumped our pieces along with the rest of the pie, split the cream I'd whipped and this summer's raspberry sauce, folded them together and that's what we had for dinner last night. It wasn't raspberry pie but it was raspberries, sweet enough to satisfy Mom, delicious enough to satisfy me.
    After the second viewing, Mom is sure that The Terminal is about a man with a speech impediment. Since, depending one one's take, it could be interpreted as such I didn't disavow her of this notion. The point, for her, was that, speech impediment or not, it was his spirit that "won the day", or, days, and this pleased her. Last night's viewing was indeed a discussion viewing, involving not only the movie but fond recollections of our family's experiences "living out of" the Honolulu airport, other family airport experiences of note, other family vacation experiences of note, fire flies and fire opals, black swans and the Black Hills, endless road trips and England, relatives and revelry...we had a pleasant evening.
    Since my mother has been known to savor the shopping experience I asked her last night if she was interested in "braving the holiday crowds" to do some window shopping this weekend. There's only one place here in Prescott that even approaches "holiday crowd" syndrome, the "new" Walmart Superstore, and she and I both prefer to avoid that store any time of the year. It's too big, too hard to negotiate and, inevitably, when you finally find the section you want, the item you want is out of stock. I suggested that I pack her up in the wheelchair and we do the rounds of the shops at the mall and the courtyard square, making sure to linger at her favorite shopping experience, Bashford Court and The Christmas Store (which, much to her delight, is open all year). She didn't seem keen on the idea so I suggested "lunch" (which will probably fall within the early dinner hour) out as well, at which she displayed minor interest. So I'm not sure what's on the agenda for today. I'm not going to push her if she seems uninterested in activity. Maybe I'll get in a lot of project time. There's a happy thought.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?