Tuesday, September 7, 2004

 

Something I remembered...

...last night as I drifted off to sleep and wanted to post, for my own benefit, to see if my attitude changes...
...a thought I had yesterday as I was doing my errand and happened to be driving behind a pick-up out of which a youthful arm emerged from a passenger side window, flipping off an elderly driver in front of the pick-up who was a little confused and changed lanes with not quite enough notice to satisfy the driver of the pick-up...
...I don't envy the young, nor do I find it nearly as interesting to be in their company as I do the company of Ancient Ones, now. All that twitching from the rush of peaking biological urges, sure that they can make life happen when the truth is that life makes us happen. I'm so glad we grow out of this.
    I know it is said that the old favor the young and vice versa but I'm wondering how much of this is a reflection of the truth and how much is a reflection of our middle aged desire not to be dismissed in our Ancient Years. For me, I'm ready to eschew the attention and company of the young (past puberty and pre-old, that is). Although we like to think that life belongs to the young, from my "older" vantage point I'm beginning to think that the young are simply not willing to accept that they belong to life. The older we become, though, the more willing we are to accept this; the better able we are to realize that the pleasures of life are available to us only when we let life wash over us rather than thinking we can direct the deluge.
...just a thought...that may change as time continues...god, I'm glad we get older rather than younger...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?