Monday, September 6, 2004

 

Just a few isolated thoughts...

...the first as per the immediately previous post. It occurred to me, while out on my errand, that the non-alternative medical industry may not, for along time, be interested in exploring the possibility that iron-deficiency anemia in Ancients needs to be subjected to different blood test ranges than for the rest of the population. There's a lot of money to be made in this particular area of medicine, not only for physicians but for the diagnostic and drug communities, especially considering that, when internal bleeding cannot be found as the cause of iron-deficiency anemia tests are conducted over and over and over without end. There will, I'm sure, be a few brave physicians on the outskirts who will not only consider different ranges but will not declare their patients anemic out of hand. Medicine, though, in our capitalistic economy, is a business first and a service second at this time. Too many people's dinners depend on opportunistic, almost fad diseases, like iron-deficiency anemia among the Ancient and type 2 diabetes among middle-aged baby boomers. Caregivers of Ancient Ones who assertively manage their charge's medical care will need to keep on top of this issue.
    A curious occurrence from yesterday. After her nap, as Mom and I were in the bathroom preparing her for her debut into active wakefulness, she asked, "Do you remember that line of traffic when we came back from Mesa the other night?"
    "How could I forget?!?"
    "Well, I talked to [MPS] and she said something similar happened to them when they were on vacation some time ago."
    "Really. When did you talk to her?" I was curious because I realized that perhaps at some time when I wasn't completely focused on her over the last few days (a time that I couldn't recall) she must have used the phone to call MPS, since from caller ID that we hadn't received a call from her. Mom initiating a phone call would indicate that we had passed some significant milestones in Mom's recovery.
    "Oh, today, maybe an hour ago."
    Hmmm. "Well, Mom, since you've been asleep for a few hours and I know you haven't been on the phone all day, you must have talked to her in your sleep." I was only half kidding. I take nothing for granted when it comes to the unplumbed powers of Ancient Mentality. "In fact, MPS is probably taking as many naps as possible during this holiday since that's what she always does when she's off, so it's entirely possible the two of you did have a conversation in your sleep. It just didn't happen over the phone."
    Mom studied me from a considering distance. "Do you suppose that could have happened?"
    "Anything's possible, Mom."
    Of course, it's also possible that somewhere in her sleep she remembered me relating, during our interminable trip, an incident in which MPS and her family got caught in a six hour stopped back-up on I-17 South because of a fatal accident that closed the freeway at Cordes Junction. But, you know, I take nothing for granted anymore when it comes to Ancient Possibility. I'm making a mental note to run this by MPS at my next opportunity. You just never know...the world is full of possibilities extraordinaire...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?