Thursday, September 9, 2004

 

I'm feeling very mellow this evening.

    The day has gone well. I discovered I can both receive and send faxes and received our first fax today the selling contract for our manufactured home in Mesa. The initial asking price was knocked down after the buyer had agents inspect it yesterday but it is still a damn sight more than a buck. I'm satisfied. I'm even energized to do as most of the chores of cleaning out the home and removing stuff myself. I think I'll leave the big things to the excellent local mover I know and consider our need to pack out as an opportunity to allow Mom to visit as much as possible before we say good-bye to that home on September 30th, although I hope that we aren't down here on that day and it passes silently or in some other manner than for us to remember the home in Mesa.
    That's right, folks. It's a done deal. The relief I feel is inexpressible. We will be solvent again on a month to month basis, may be able to make some dents in some credit cards and generally breathe a bit easier. All in all, in the give and take of what we will no longer be paying out and the small new bill the storage will add, we'll definitely be a nice amount more to the good every month. Not to mention not having to think about another residence while trying to run this one. Now we can explore having some of those renovations for Mom done; maybe hire a local landscape consultant who is very knowledgeable about the local flora and fauna who can help me to decide what to keep as well as those plants of which we need to be rid and how to rid ourselves of them. There are only a few possible rejects but I want to know how to manage what we have. Our yard is delightfully indigenous. Our most successful and prominent tree is an opportunistic scavenger I at first thought was a "king weed" that took a ride on some bird shit and in one year graces our yard with the promise of green summer shade over the front of the house. Nice. We've got some amazing flora which I need to know how to manage and set aside money and time for the work. And, I think, get some opportunistic, scavenger-like help.
    Mom had to be reminded this morning when she awoke on the heels of the fax receipt of everything, and I mean everything about the home in Mesa, why we were selling it and why we were selling it for so little.
    "I'll have to think about it," was all she said after I went through the entire history and explanation and showed her the one page straighforward contract with our one monitary obligation set out.
    As I mentioned to MFS later on the phone, it's a good thing I have Durable Power of Attorney. I carry it everywhere. I let everyone know I have it. The buyer's representative, who knows Mom well from long years of dealing with her on a business level and knows any promise of a deal is safe in the hands of my legal authority over Mom's interesting and faulty short term memory, thinks my mother's having to be reminded of what's going on daily is "cute". I find it unnerving. Scary, even. She can seem so "here", especially lately and especially to those who are unfamiliar with her present state of life.
    We had an incident yesterday at the doctor's office in regards to my mother's decision to donate her body to science through ScienceCare. Mom and I have discussed this many times since she was successfully introduced to it at the hospital. Donating one's body to science, as MCS pointed out, is an "ever the teacher" act for my mother. Every time I mention it though, and I mention it often, it's a totally new idea to her. She always loves it and finally, again, agrees to it but, well, what can I say, it's always a new idea.
    At the doctor's office I brought out the form, of which I have, unfortunately, neglected to fill out the information needed for filing a death certificate, to have her PCP and nurse witness. Everyone is satisfied until her PCP off-handly says to Mom, "So you agree to this scientific donation of your body at your death?"
    Mom's head, which has been pivoting around the office, fixes onto the doctor. "What?!?" she exclaims.
    Her PCP turns to me. I start to say, "I put copies of all my Powers of Attorney is your file, today..."
    ...just as he was saying, "I saw your Powers of Attorney in the chart."
    He and his nurse signed as witnesses. So, with my mother's desire but without, in An Ancient Way, her knowledge, her wishes are being upheld.
    There was a much more tense incident recently through the telling of which MFS howled with laughter:
    My mother's financial advisor finally insisted that he needed legal permission to deal with me in lieu of my mother. This was before I realized I have Durable Power of Attorney. The form had to be witnessed by a notary public. No problem. We proceeded to the bank.
    I'd coached Mom several times on what the form is, where she needs to sign, when she needs to produce ID, etc. I wasn't too worried, though. Typically, my sense of authority and my mother's sense of trust in me get us through.
    As we were waiting it was noticed by the notary public who anticipates serving us that my mother is having a hard time grasping where she is and why she's there. When we were seated at her desk and I explained our business and our needs she said, "I need to read this document and see if it says anything about 'sound of mind,'" implying that if it did she might have to decline to witness my mother's handing this authority over to me. She scanned the document.
    I was tense. My mother was animated and distracted.
    "Good. It doesn't," the notary declared.
    She and I heaved a sigh of relief.
    I appreciate being served by such honest public servants. Especially now. But, it is often a touch and go affair.
    Through her connection with the military as a veteran and a dependent (retired) I can be her designated "Caregiver", with privileges in lieu of hers, which would help. MCBIL was unable to let me know if the military, as an arm of the US Government, also does not recognize Power's of Attorney.
    MFS informed me that they certainly do citing the evidence that when MFBIL shipped out with the Navy they were ordered on base to get temporary (tecnically, Revokable Powers of Attorney) in order to cover their separation as joint heads of household.
    So, it's a web, and a tangled recognition, at that.

    At her PCP's stringent reminder and insistence I am now to observe Days of Rest for my mother after trips up and down the mountain. So today I am. She's staying fairly well hydrated between naps and popcorn and sluggish spirits. She's napping now. This came up because I informed him of the sale of our home in Mesa and our permanent-permanent move to Prescott then, on emotional hands and knees, eloquently pleaded for his support in agreeing to remain Mom's PCP.
    He was touched and conflicted and reminded me of two concerns: "I'm concerned about the trips back and forth because of her age," which he followed with his Day of Rest prescription. He also mentioned that if something very, very urgent happens we need some kind of connection up there, obviously, to get anything done. I threw out my concerns involving very doubtful strategies interlinking her veteran's status with a reluctant but technically obligated Veteran's Hospital ER room.
    He agreed to remain her PCP as long as I had trouble finding someone with whom "we could work", so I think he has no intention of losing touch with my mother. But he encouraged me to "keep [my] eyes and ears open, look for someone reasonable..." so I will. I'm not sure how, but I will.

    I posted one more test, the Urinalysis - Collection Date 9/2/04 and added a section to the last 9/2/04 Blood Test, the erhythropoietin test.

    I'm suddenly very tired. I think I'll publish this without checking for errors of any kind and continue...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?