Tuesday, September 7, 2004

 

"The Government does not recognize Powers of Attorney."

    The title above is both an interesting piece of information I learned today and a direct quote from an extremely helpful Civil Service Office of Personnel Management Retirement Services employee as I was in the process of changing Mom's mailing address on her Survivor's Benefit profile. Typically, the way we conduct government business over the phone is:
  1. I make and negotiate the call;
  2. I inform the person to whom I'm speaking that Mom is sitting next to me and can confirm that she authorizes me to do business on her behalf;
  3. At some point they ask to speak to Mom to confirm this;
  4. Business is conducted.
    The employee I spoke with today asked if I was her caregiver and have Power of Attorney. Yes, I responded, I'm her full time companion and have Durable Power of Attorney.
    That's when he spoke the sentence above, the title of this post. I have no idea why this is so, nor did he. Considering, I mentioned, that all Powers of Attorney are overseen and authorized by Attorneys General offices this glitch seems absurd. The employee went on to recommended that I become my mother's "Registered Payee", this U.S. Government office's designation of people registered to do business on someone else's behalf. I asked if this designation would transfer to all Government offices since much of my mother's business as a retiree's dependent survivor is Government business. No, he said. All the offices have their own protocol. He then mentioned Social Security in particular. His voice dwindled as it expressed his assurance that each office probably has it's own protocol.
    So, now I find that as my mother's caregiver and business agent it is necessary for me to register with each U.S. Government division with which I do business on her behalf. I expect that it will be fairly easy, but I wonder how many caregivers are not aware of this fly in Government ointment. Despite having very few readers I thought I should post something about this and include specific phrases that might be picked up by a search engine in order to attract other frenzied caregivers trying to negotiate the web as they attempt to conduct Government business on their Ancient Ones' behalf as I was doing this morning.

Comments:
originally posted by Sea Eagle: Wed Sep 08, 03:20:00 AM 2004

Hi Gail Rae,

Your problems with Power of Attorney don't just happen in the USA. They also happen here in Australia.

Although I am not a carer myself, I had a number of occasions dealing with carers in two of my past careers, one with a government department & one with a telecommunications (phone) company.

I found the major problem was often not the actual rules/laws, but more the knowledge of the employee dealing with the situation. The main thing I can recommend is that if you are not satisfied with a response you believe is wrong, demand to speak to someone higher up the ladder. It is your right as a citizen to do so, no matter if you are told it is not possible. Whenever you speak to an employee get their name (even if only the first), job title & phone extension - and write it down. It can protect you down the road.

Here in Australia you do also have to notify each Government agency of your delegated powers (mainly due to privacy laws banning sharing of information), however it is usually a fairly simple process to do so.

I've found over the years that a lot of employees these days have a poor level of general knowledge. As companies become more and more "youthful" the knowledge base of experience reduces, and problems such as you are experiencing become more common.

There also seems to be a real fear of responsibility, as many positions these days are on contracts, and there is a lot less job security for the people you are dealing with. That means that they take the easy way out of saying no, because it means that they can't be accused later of approving payments to an ineligible person.

I wish you and your Mom (here in Australia we say Mum) all the best for the future. It looks like there is a great deal of love between the two of you.

Regards,

Scott
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?