Tuesday, September 21, 2004

 

"The Adventure" of our household consolidation...

...is beginning to grip my mother. Yesterday evening immediately after I had settled on a date for pickup/delivery of our goods with the moving company I explained to her our entire schedule up through Saturday morning, the time of our goods' delivery here in Prescott. Although she likes the stimulation of going back and forth between what are, at this moment, our two homes, she likes the opportunity to eat at restaurants or decide what type of fast food to buy, she likes watching me work through packing (she's always liked the excitement of moving), she does not like the stiffness from the car rides, the inconvenience of not having a place to lie down or a television to watch and the inevitable plugging of her ears as we switch elevations quickly and twice in a day. As I was telling her that we'd be making day trips today, Thursday and Friday, I was surprised by the incipient excitement in her response to my schedule rundown for this week, "It's possible we'll need to go down Wednesday, too."
    "Well, yes, that's possible, but I'm hoping we'll have a day to recover between the first trip and the others."
    "You don't need to do that for me."
    I laughed. "Well, good. We might need to do it for me, though. I might need tomorrow to relax and contemplate where we are."
    "We need to be sure to get everything done," she protested.
    "Believe me, we'll get everything done, Mom. One way or another we will no longer own the Mesa home as of October 1st."
    "So, when do you think we can start going through boxes?"
    Wow. She does love the activity of moving, whether or not it involves an actual move. I've been anticipating that all of this, especially now that the crunch has begun, is going to be hard on her. I'm now thinking that it will be harder on me than on her. This is good. Her enthusiasm gives me a standard for which to reach.
    Yes, we'll be on our way down in about two hours. It'll be a long day. I don't anticipate us returning tonight until 2200 or later. Tomorrow we'll rest and recalculate and repeat today on Thursday. Friday we'll head down to the Valley in the middle of the day, supervise the movers as they load our stuff and Saturday morning they'll deliver. It's happening. And Mom's into it. I couldn't ask for more.
    We did endure a short episode late yesterday evening in which her brain had dumped everything about the move and it was all perplexing news to her. Her brain kicked back in later, though, so I'm not worried.
    Needless to say, I don't expect to be taking many stats today or Thursday and probably not Friday. If we have an exercise session it will be tomorrow then not again until Saturday at the earliest, possibly later if I can't keep my mother's hands out of the boxes of stuff we'll be having delivered.
    I'll keep you posted on how it goes but I expect nothing but, well, the adventure my mother's anticipating.
    Time to get her up. On days when we have plans such as this it's easy to get her up and going. Off we go, into my mother's "wild blue yonder".

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?