Friday, August 27, 2004

 

Technical Matters, Online and Onmom

    I figured out how to reduce the number of pages indexed by the Atomz search facility I'm using. Since every post, which is published as a page in itself, is duplicated in the archive, I used an exclude mask to exclude the separate pages. This means that the search facility will be able to keep up with me for a long time. It also means that when you pull a search on this site, Mom's Daily Tests and Meds and its companion material (her medical tests, etc.) and on Essaying the Situation through Mom and Me Addenda, you will pull full 7 day archives.
    It appears that Google has not yet seen fit to crawl either of the sites upon which I placed the navigator bar. I'll give it a couple of weeks. If it still hasn't crawled those sites I'll delete the bar. I was thinking of putting that bar on the essays journal and the food journal once I get that started. But if Google is going to be so arbitrary as to decide not to crawl sites that specifically use "Blogger.com", which now belongs to Google, unless the navigation bar is added, which advertises Google, well, I think I'll be arbitrary as well. Atomz does good searches as long as I keep up with the indexing when I enter something important. At any rate, it automatically reindexes every week.
    Today's been yet another Good Day, Sunshine day. Mom hasn't walkered yet but when she awakens from her nap we're going to practice out on our driveway. Her muscles are just beginning to get used to moving more so I gave her a choice today: Walkering around the square or practicing on our driveway. She chose the practice, which is fine. We'll do several laps in order to equal what she would have done around the square.
    This morning, as you might have guessed, I bolted awake late, just before 0900. When I peeked into her room on my way to the kitchen to feed The Girls and start setting up for Mom's day she was already on her elbows looking around as though she was surprised another day had begun. I asked her if she was ready to get up. She rose further and said, "I guess so." Excellent. Once she started moving out of bed, though, she balked. After she lagged more minutes than I like, I reminded her that "movement begets energy and energy begets movement", wrapped my arms around her and started to whup her up. She pushed me away in a snit and rose to a complete sit at the edge of the bed on her own. Nothing like a little anger to get an 87 year old going.
    We continued having words in the bathroom when she decided it was too cold for her. I had the floor heater way up. It had been radiating all night in a small, closed-door room and the bathroom felt like a sauna to me. After draping a plush beach towel over her, which we'd gotten just for that purpose, and having her refuse to allow me to shift it here and there so she and I could get to various parts of her body I said, "Look. I'm sorry you think it's cold. You are not in danger of freezing in this bathroom or turning blue. You have to bathe. Deal with it." And, that was the end of that.
    Tomorrow we are going to Mesa to do a little packing out of the house down there. She's clearly excited. It should be interesting. I plan on taking her out for lunch and possibly dinner, too, depending on when we get out of there. Lunch will be someplace where she'll have to do some walkering but I imagine her therapy exercises will go by the wayside tomorrow. That's okay. It'll give her muscles a chance to incorporate what they're learning and rest up for Sunday.
    I'll be posting some time soon on one of these Mom & Me sections a list of the exercises we're doing now (which I recreated from memory, since I can't find the handouts from the nursing home; and to which I've added a few to help strengthen her knees and recuperate her sense of balance) and keeping that updated as her physical prowess develops. I'll let you know when I complete that.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?