Saturday, August 7, 2004

 

Quick, excellent news from the front, before I steal a much needed nap:

    I just spoke to my mother on the phone, which she answered after just a few rings. I don't know whether the nurse from yesterday reclued her in to the phone's existence or Mom figured it out herself. She sounds very good. I mentioned to her that I called her more than a few times yesterday unsuccessfully and she said, "I think you were calling my roommate," which indicates she heard the ringing.
    "Well, Mom, your roommate didn't answer."
    "Well, of course not," she scolded me, "you were calling for me!"
    Gotta love this woman!
    She is missing me at least as much as I am missing her. She understood, though, in her stoic way, why I didn't make it yesterday morning. She is looking forward to "a long visit" with me tomorrow, and I will see to it that I am there for awhile, perhaps even through a therapy session or two so she can show off for me.
    The best news is that she doesn't remember that for a few days last week she couldn't walk. When I congratulated her on using the walker and getting around and not getting tired or sore she was surprised that I was excited about this. Her sardonic reply was: "I've been walking for several years, you know."
    Gotta love this woman a little more!
    One thing I've discovered about mild dementia is that it has its advantages, especially in recovery from an illness or sudden disability. If my mother doesn't remember that she's sick or handicapped, when her body is ready for action, she cooperates without looking over her shoulder (although she has never been known as a woman with fears from her past, neither recent or distant). Of course it can also have the opposite effect, causing her to attempt something she has no business attempting, which is how her back injury occurred. But overall, mild dementia is an optimistic, enabling state of mind for her. She rarely worries about the holes in her memory as she did a few years ago, which is good.
    While we talked I checked her out again on the mysteries of her TV remote. Before I left on Thursday I set it up so that it is permanently tuned to Animal Planet, the volume is audible for her and all she has to do is push the red power button. I also reminded her of the free popcorn machine and the change I'd left for her for vending machines. I don't think she's yet able to wander around on her own, though, so I promised her, if the therapists okayed such, that tomorrow we'd "go exploring". She probably won't remember exactly where the free popcorn is but she'll remember it's there once she has some and will probably keep staff busy fetching it for her if she isn't as mobile as she'd like.
    She reported that breakfast was "delicious" but "not as much as [she]'d've liked," also an optimistic sign. Her appetite has returned to its previously hearty state. Hopefully she'll put on a pound or two while she's there. She could use some padding. She's lost quite a bit since October 25th of last year.
    While I was talking to her one of her therapists arrived so I let her go. I'll be checking back with her frequently today, for my sake as well as hers. Tomorrow we should have an interesting day.
    A storm is gathering on the horizon...great napping weather. I'll report more...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?