Tuesday, August 17, 2004

 

Just to let you know...

...my mother is doing admirably well in her recovery at the SNF. I was with her yesterday and decided that "sitting in" on her therapy sessions (she received three, yesterday, two back to back in the morning, one for concentration on negotiating steps in the afternoon) wouldn't hurt. She performed, according to one of the therapists, slightly less vigorously with me there, but still with a good level of effort. I performed all her exercises with her, both in her group and individually, obtained some hand outs as reminders and took notes on other exercises. I expect to have to battle her intransigence once she returns home simply because I'm her daughter, I "don't know what I'm talking about" (although the therapists have confirmed for me that I have, indeed, known what I was talking about in regard to her using her walker and doing therapeutic exercises), and it is common for Ancient Ones (and, as MCS confirms for me, Very Young Ones, as well) to not feel the necessity to perform for their caregivers. This isn't a new battle for me. Although it is frustrating and sometimes exhausting I now know that I have inexhaustible energy reserves as far as continuing the battle and seeing to it that I win (and, thus, so does my mother), most of the time, for as long as my mother lives and her desire to relax to the point of debilitation in my presence continues.
    My mother is now, by the way, capable of walkering all over the facility without a gait belt. She's still a little iffy but it's not a physically based problem anymore. It has to do with her level of confidence in her body, which is something we can work on at home. She is having no problem negotiating steps (she never has; even a few weeks ago when she was collapsing after a few minutes of standing she was able to negotiate steps, which is weird,but true; steps were about the only place she didn't collapse). She is more than capable of understanding by sight exactly how to do both her upper and lower body exercises and is capable of noticing when she isn't performing the way the therapist performs. She is capable of correcting herself, whether or not she is made aware, by the therapist, that she needs to correct her method on a particular exercise. She is also good at walking herself in a wheel chair and feels confident enough to believe that she can go short distances unaided by a walker or wheelchair or someone in assistance, like to the bathroom, which she has done several times at the facility and continues to do. Of course, if I am there or a nurse or CNA or therapist she receives help but she believes she doesn't need it and she probably doesn't need much. She just needs someone to keep an eye on her progress. She is using very little oxygen and often takes therapy without oxygen. She no longer takes breathing treatments. Her appetite continues to be healthy enough so that she complains vigorously about the food and portions. Her blood sugar is under control without metformin, staying below the "200" level I was quoted. She continues on high doses of iron and on twice-a-day glipizide. She is not more mentally debilitated than she was before she began this episode. Her spirit remains incredibly strong and the strength of her will has been completely renewed.
    I talked to MCS earlier this morning, giving her the same rundown as appears above. She said, "You know, don't take this the wrong way, I'm sorry that this happened, but it seems to be a good thing that it did."
    "MCS," I responded, "I'm not sorry it happened. We both needed a push in this direction and I'm glad we got it." I know that what she meant was, it would have been nice if we'd never needed a push like this, but, you know, inertia is a powerful force regardless of what age one is. It never hurts to be challenged to test the possibility of movement against the inevitability of inertia.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?