Friday, July 16, 2004

 

Quickly, before the next thunderstorm hits:

    You'll notice a dearth of stats at Mom's Daily Tests and Meds for yesterday, today, and a dearth of posts since the day before yesterday. Yesterday after Mom arose while we were bathing her I noticed a slight pinkish tinge to her urine. At the direction of her PCP in Mesa I took her to the nearest urgent care facility in Prescott Valley. By the time a urine sample was collected her urine was the color of cranberry juice.
    Her problem? A urinary tract infection. Although the culture won't be "ready" until early next week, the preliminary analysis indicated E. coli. She is on an aggressive three day course of Cipro XL 500 mg. Already this morning her urine has almost returned to normal. Her blood pressure is still a touch high (for her), but I'm administering lisinopril 2.5 mg on her prescribed schedule. As the infection subsides her stats should return to normal.
    I expected her blood sugar to run riot yesterday. We were at the urgent care facility all afternoon, which I hadn't expected. She missed lunch. I had none of her medications with me. In order to quell her hunger I gave her some wintergreen Altoids. When we left, some time after 1700, she was ravenous, so we stopped and picked up hamburgers, onion rings and fries. I wasn't able to administer her evening glipizide a half hour before she ate for obvious reasons so I gave it to her with dinner and with two ounces of aloe vera gel juice. Surprisingly, this morning, her blood glucose was only 136 so I have no complaints.
    She's feeling so much better today that I'm going to do her hair, take her to the grocery with me and see if we can't get the papers notarized that I've been putting off all week because I haven't been able to get her moving. Now I know why. There's more to tell, so I'll write more much...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?