Tuesday, July 20, 2004

 

My first words to my mother this morning...

...after, "Good morning, Mary Sunshine," and, "Time to get up!" and, "How are you feeling this morning," were, "Let's see if we can't get you fed before noon, today." This, as it turned out, was a pipe dream. She's still dragging and her blood pressure reading tells me her body is busily at work fighting bacteria although her blood sugar tells me the process is winding down.
    She's having a few morning cigarettes before I do her hair. I'm talking up a trip to the grocery but already I'm thinking her accompanying me may not happen. We'll see. Her right lower eye lid is sagging this morning, she had some trouble controlling urination while we were bathing, fastening her bra confused her (although there was a legitimate reason...some of the hooks had snagged on something and been pulled open) and she had a little trouble negotiating herself into a standing position. All of these are indicators that her energy is not completely at her disposal.
    I continue to put off getting that one business paper notarized, as, hour by hour, day by day, it hasn't yet looked good for getting her out without her knees becoming iffy. I'll try again today and my spirit is hearty enough to exert some influence over her but, well, we'll see how much her spirit is willing to trust mine to hold her up and keep her moving.
    The urgent care facility called this morning, confirmed the diagnosis of E. Coli and asked how she is doing. I mentioned that the antibiotic appeared to have done the trick although on the third day of dosage and the morning after that last dose she experienced some nausea. "That happens," the nurse responded, "especially in the elderly. That's why the doctor put her on only a three day course." I also mentioned that it appeared, from some of her vitals, that the Cipro XR was still "working", and she confirmed that it does have a holdover period, which, as far as I'm concerned is good.
    Time to perform the full meal deal on Mom's hair and decide whether we're off to the races today, at least one race, the grocery. We need a few minor supplies, including a dosage spoon.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?