Friday, July 9, 2004

 

By 1400 I thought today was thoroughly screwed.

    Soon after 1000 I was interrupted, while awakening my mother, by an emergency business matter that I had to dispatch before 1400. Although it appeared that my mother was going to be a fairly easy wake-up today I knew that the business matter was going to consume a good two hours and my mother, if I continued with her, would consume a good two and a half hours. So, much to her delight and my chagrin, I informed her of what was going on, reblanketed and repillowed her and she blissed back into sleep. I wasn't able to get back to her until 1330. By that time she'd managed to sleep her way into fairly alarming dehydration, even though I'd managed to get 16 oz into her before I was interrupted, and marked stiffness which would cause her to drag and resist all my efforts to get her moving even a little for the rest of the day.
    At this point I was fairly certain the day would be fucked but continued with her, coaxing her into beating me at a few hands of gin (the play of which she's managed, within the last week, to retrieve from her memory vaults to the point that I've had to concede this is definitely her game) and a couple rounds of Sorry instead of planting the Gerbera daisy, as we'd planned. Although I'd been pretty stoked this morning over Mom's blood test results, my excitement and plans had decayed from that point on except for a curious (and interrupted, though continued later) and enlightening conversation with MCS somewhere in there. Then, early this evening Mom turned to stone and I could not move her although I was able to convince her to remain up for a lunch that turned out to be dinner. During dinner preparation I was thinking, "Today I could have used that 'service' that doesn't yet exist in the commercial world of people who will awaken your charge on your behalf."
    For several reasons that quietly developed as the evening progressed I am now very happy with today. At the moment I am, as usual, exhausted, and needing to sleep, but I want to make a few reminder notes to myself upon which I'll expand, most likely tomorrow evening.
  1. Rouleaux
  2. Hemoglobin x 3
  3. Mom preparing for a new phase; MCS, it's not what we were thinking
  4. What's happening with Mom physically and my speculations on why
  5. How my medical management plans for Mom are changing, rapidly, as it turns out
  6. Thank you for the opportunities, many of which I didn't realize were opportunities until tonight
  7. The bend ahead into which, I realized only tonight, we're beginning to lean
    I've got to get myself to bed. I can barely keep my eyes open.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?