Tuesday, July 6, 2004

 

Again, I'm just checking in, then checking out.

    Very low key holiday weekend except for another firebug incident which I mention here as a reminder to myself to write about it in more detail when I have the time. Suffice it to say, the incident, apart from what happened, renewed my appreciation for my insistence on recording, here, everything I can either think of and have thought of in e's to others regarding my journey with my mother.
    Last night Mom and I watched a Showtime movie, The Maldonado Miracle. One of the characters and situations portrayed in the movie is a middle aged man taking care of his mother who appears to be deep into senility (unlike my mother). The film was obvious and relentless in portraying the journey of the caregiver as one that is properly done quietly and modestly. I absolutely disagree with this, whether applied to the caretaking of children, Ancient Ones or the infirm. The reason caregiving, at this time in this country, is such a difficult row to hoe is that those of us societized within the "nuclear family" model believe that it is a personal, private matter. The only respect we show is for those caregivers who quietly go about their business, bother only the state when they need help, work hard to appear to have no vested interest in what they do other than to sacrifice themselves to the care of someone else and "whistle a happy tune, whenever [they] feel afraid". Bullshit, I say. This is one of the reasons I continue this journal...in order to say "Bullshit" as often as I deem necessary and focus attention on exactly what I'm labeling bullshit.
    As I've attempted to do over the last few mornings, I'm working on awakening Mom a half hour earlier than the previous morning, just to get her used to existing on less than 12-14 hours' sleep, which I believe will be good for both her body and soul, so I'm off, again.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?