Wednesday, June 23, 2004

 

It seems that RNs and CNAs...

...can't take a diabetic's blood sugar without horribly bruising the diabetic's fingers. Every time I take my mother's blood sugar now I remember the increasingly bruised fingers she acquired while in the hospital. Even when I first began taking her blood sugar I hardly ever bruised her, and then just a little smudge, usually red. The hospital left her with blue-black fingerstips on both hands. Granted, it takes a little practice to get good at it, to remember to look for fingers already pumped and further pump the finger; to punch straight in; to encourage a drop of blood by pressing, not squeezing; but, it doesn't take much. I learned it all in our first session with the visiting nurse.
    Why do health professionals have a problem taking a bruise free blood sugar?
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?