Monday, June 21, 2004

 

"I was magnificent,"

I've told people while describing our most recent hospital experience: That is to say, my mother's and mine.
    I was. I've found the secret is not so much having a more assertive attitude, although this helps. The trick is to consider hospitals, medical personnel and medical supply houses, as resources, not as an amalgamated institution. Institutions must usually be battled. Resources can be chosen and rejected.
    I surprised myself. It's taken almost four years, but some auto-attitude finally kicked in. I handled our experience rather than allowing us to become our experience's victims. Our unfortunate incidents surrounding my mother's last hospital experience (in the same hospital) during an overnight observational stay in September of 2002 had certainly prepared me for the routine and how to get through it without that routine ripping through us.
    The triage nurse was immediately helpful, attentive and talkative. The ER had, indeed, prepared in advance. My mother was in a rare mood. I was sure this visit would involve a transfusion, even though the triage nurse explained that this was yet to be determined to the hospital's satisfaction. I was relieved to hear this. Establishing my MPOA status in the absence of documentation was very smooth, especially since my mother was alert.
    Oops. Small life detail to which I must immediately attend. I'll pick up where I'm leaving off, at 0257, 6/21...oh, shit, two movies are overdue, I think...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?