Thursday, April 8, 2004

 

The roses I ordered arrived today...

...creating a great deal of excitement in our household. In case I didn't mention it, besides buying the two roses plants at Costco, Mom and I agreed that it would be interesting to spot our unusually situated and flora-ed property with rose bushes here and there, some in the clearly domesticated area, some in the wilder area. I scouted out and bought 7 bushes, each representative of the major rose colors, including copper and violet, each unnamed, thus sold in a lot at an amazingly reduced price. I also bought a named blue climbing rose that I intend to train over the remaining shed in the back. The bushes arrived just before Mom's PT appointment. Due to a trip to the grocery on which Mom wanted to accompany me (I was not about to discourage her) they haven't been planted. I need to hit Home Depot and pick up some peat, bone meal and rose food, so I'm waiting for Mom to head in for a nap. Tomorrow, early, I'll dig holes and plant the gems. We're both very excited about the arrival. All the bushes are healthy and sprouting, so in 7 to 8 weeks we should have some spectacular blooms all over the property.
    While I have some time I want to talk a bit about Mom's appointment today. As usual, it was, literally, a pleasure to watch the therapist work on Mom. As I watch the therapist work and Mom respond, I enter into that "pleasure shiver" zone and, in a sense, am "treated", myself.
    The therapist told me that last week she aligned Mom's pelvis, which might have caused the surprising twinges of pain Mom experienced for a few days. She explained that when the body is realigned it sometimes takes a while for it to get the hang of the new structure. She mentioned as well, once again, how much she enjoys working on Mom. Because Mom relaxes and communicates non-verbally with such skill and ease, as she works with Mom she and Mom enter into a non-verbal "conversation" (from this point on, all double quotes in this post are the therapist's words). She said working with Mom is an "epiphany". I was so intrigued with these comments that I whipped out my 'Life' (the small notebook I carry around with me) and wrote them down. Then, because it seems only fair, I told the therapist that I report on the 'physical therapy' sessions on my website because of my fascination with this process and my hunch that, somewhere, someone will stumble across some of this information and experience an 'Ah ha!' moment.
    At this point the therapist was careful to distinguish that Feldenkrais is a separate designation that should not be lumped into the general category of "physical therapy". Although she is an LPT, Feldenkrais is a specialty that has not yet been embraced by institutionalized physical therapy and is therefore considered a specialty of its own. In an effort to honor this woman's obvious talent and skill in this area I will be henceforth referring to her as the 'FT', Mom's 'Feldenkrais Therapist'.
    Mom just went down for a well deserved nap and I have more to report but I want to take advantage of this time to go to Home Depot and pick up the supplies we need for rose planting in the morning. Something I just discovered that I want to mention: The link I placed on the Information Links & Resources page for the Feldenkrais Institute is incorrect. Once again, the template from the auto site builder added some of its own protocol. I wish I'd noticed it before. I'll repair that this evening when I get back here. In the mean time, the above link is correct and should activate without a problem.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?