Saturday, April 17, 2004

 

It was a surreal moment, and then another, and another...

...and finally I guided us in. My mother was buffeted around by the wind today. Since she'd gotten up early this morning on her own and we hadn't gone out yesterday I suggested that after breakfast we take a look at the roses and consider what we might do with the rest of the day. Yes, the wind was strong but it didn't buffet me. I could feel her giving in to it, though, as I braced her. After the first blast I suggested we go in. I think it angered her to be considered so insubstantial by something as "insignificant" as the wind so she fought it and me.
    Although I carted her oxygen with us and had it on 3/lpm, it was obvious that she her muscles were working overtime to retain her dignity against the wind. When we finally went inside she was exhausted. She collapsed in her rocker and spent most of the rest of the day there or in bed.
    I'm very glad we've got a month of balance work left with the FT. It is obvious that she needs it. I think, although she doesn't consciously remember falling, all she knows is that I remember it, her body remembers going backwards, which is an extremely vulnerable way to fall, and still doesn't trust itself not to fall backwards again.
    I hadn't planned on being up so late tonight. I've been tired lately. Although I've dozed in the living room on the floor and forced myself to take a nap here and there, nothing really does the trick like a good night's sleep. I realized I'd only be able to accomplish this, though, if I took some ibuprofen. So, I'm waiting for that to kick in under the influence of some True Blueberry tea.
    I made elk chili. I threw it out before we ate it. Neither Mom nor I could get past the gamey smell. I'll try using the buffalo steaks and the venison (I think) sausage but I'm not promising anything. Beef is good enough for us I think.
    Not much else to report. I hope the wind dies down tomorrow. I think Mom needs to get out. I know I need to get out!
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?