Wednesday, April 14, 2004

 

Both Mom's hair and Mom's appointment went well.

    The FT appointment: Very good. Although I wasn't aware of it (which the FT told me, later, she does on purpose) today was evaluation day for the five goals she'd set for Mom within a specific time frame. Mom met all but one. The goals were, as follows:
  1. Back pain to decrease to the point of being strictly circumstantial, i.e., the back pain caused by riding in the car for two episodes of 2.5 hours each in one day.
  2. Strength to return to right side.
  3. Able to move from sit to stand and back easily.
  4. Able to rise with minimal assistance from a supine position.
  5. Able to walk 100 yards confidently balanced.
    The only one she didn't quite make is the last. Although she did, with studied attention, walk the prescribed walk, I see her listing a lot at home despite the fact that she moves about the house frequently and without concern. I've braced her a couple of times. The FT knows this. So she is going to recommend one more month of balance work. She also recommends looking at a variety of walkers, renting them for short periods of time to see what suits Mom and getting one. Medicare, it seems, pays for either a walker, a wheelchair or a cane by prescription. We have a wheelchair free and clear so it makes sense to look into walkers. Ever since I saw that one on the sidewalk along Granite Park that adjusts and operates like a stroller I've thought it's possible to enthuse Mom about one.
    It was interesting for me to watch the FT evaluate Mom, especially since I didn't know that's what she was doing. It came as a pleasant surprise to me when, out of nowhere, the FT announced, "Well, I think we've achieved all our goals. Except one. The balance." I was very pleased and it seemed more than serendipitous. I noticed this mornin, while washing Mom's back that her to-the-right list is realigning.
    For Mom's "last" appointment of this series, the FT gave Mom a taste of what balance work would be like. Hip rocking. Spine curling. Weight shifting. Explicit talk designed to lead Mom to notice the increments and paths of movement throughout her body. "The leg bone connected to the knee bone..." kind of talk. Very interesting. I sat on the floor and couldn't help but follow the exercises, and even got one wrong.
    The FT also spent some time, while rocking Mom to allow her to sense her balance points, alternately "opening" up her chest and back, accompanied with eyes sweeping up and down on a flexible neck.
    The FT mentioned that there are other therapists in the area who specialize in balance work and I briefly considered asking around but I am surprised and gratified by the working relationship Mom has with this FT. After witnessing a preview of balance work and how Mom responds to it (it's rather, the FT pointed out, like learning to hula, which is right up Mom's alley, oops, did you catch that?!?, well, you know what I mean) I think we'll stick with this therapist. We left with an appointment scheduled for next week. The therapist will be taking a vacation from May 2nd to May 16th, which will work in perfectly with MCS&BIL's visit. It will break the proposed month of further balance work up and allow Mom some inspiration and extra support to practice her redeveloping balancing act.
    This therapy was and is marvelous for Mom.
    I haven't heard anything about our income tax. Phone call or not I'm sure we'll be driving down tomorrow to at least find out where we stand. I'm nervous but controlled. I have been explaining to Mom that any problems we have because of taxes are my fault this year as I got our stuff in so late. I'm not sure she understands but I'll continue to repeat it.
    After discussing the impending trip with the FT I've decided to pre-dose Mom with two Extra Strength Tylenol before we commence. I'm a little nervous, as I don't believe she's moved her bowels in about 48 hours. But we'll take it as it comes. She hasn't been eating that much either. I just need to be careful what I feed her tonight.
    She's drinking coffee now sitting at the dinette table, enjoying the dappling of sunlight across the front rooms, reading her gossip magazines, waiting for the Eukanuba Dog Show to begin.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?