Friday, March 26, 2004

 

Very interesting PT appointment, today.

    Aside from learning how to help my mother up from a lying-on-side position, which help she doesn't need anymore but it may come in handy later, her PT gave both of us lessons in the importance of the pelvis in movement and suggested some movement exercises involving sitting that will help Mom get more experience in moving from her pelvic center. I am very grateful for these tips. Although I had connected shuffling to a lack of confidence in one's legs, I had not connected shuffling to a lack of moving from one's center. The PT explained that as one ages and adjusts to injuries, etc., to, well, life, one of the ways one compensates is by stiffening movement. It seems, superficially, to make physical sense to move as a unit...but since we are made of parts it is non-physical-sense. However, once those patterns are set, they are hard to break. She checked Mom over and was pleased to note that Mom is quite capable of independent movement. So, rehabituating is the only problem. She cautioned Mom to "walk from her hips" when she walks; it's a sturdier stride. Of all the good advice I've drill-sergeanted Mom with during our walks, one thing I haven't encouraged, simply because I've taken it for granted, is "walk[ing] from the hips". This is where my observation, several years ago when I used to walk to walk everywhere around the cities in which I lived, was that I would "sit on my hips and let my legs take me to work." Good imagery to describe to Mom how to walk from her hips.
    The PT also described the circumstances through which one becomes accustomed to doing what I describe as "walking on one's arms", in which one attempts (unsuccessfully) to transfer the seat (it's not called the "seat" for nothing) of one's power to the shoulders. Unfortunately, this cramps the chest; the position she demonstrated is exactly, exactly the way Mom has stood for years, hunched over. Essentially what the PT delivered was a "Trust Your Torso" pep-talk.
    She did some heavy duty manipulation, particularly in Mom's upper back. Some of her techniques caught my eye this week: She allows my mother's natural inclination when laying on the treatment platform to direct the focus and flow of her treatment. This allows my confidence in the appropriateness of this treatment for my mother to soar. As well, most of the PT's movement is beneath the skin muscle movement or such slow joint movement that it is barely detectable. Yet she actually repositions my mother's body.
    The PT also clarified for me when I might want to bring her in early for a treatment: If Mom begins to feel as though she wants more work done, wants to be able to do more, to operate more smoothly...or if something happens that threatens to debilitate her (like, for instance, I guess, pulling her back in bed, I never thought about calling the PT for that). So, that's good. I'm never sure what an emergency is when it comes to alternative treatments.
    Today, while manipulating her back, the PT pressed and/or jiggled something. My mother had no apparent reaction until she was asked to roll over, then became sick to her stomach. No pain. No stiffness. Just sudden nausea. I understood immediately what had happened, even though the therapist explained it as a release of physical stress taking place while the client is resisting that release. It has happened to me when my right knee has popped out and back. As we walked out I noticed that part of her upper back hump had straightened a bit. I mentioned this to the PT as the possible site of the dramatic part movment. Although Mom didn't vomit at the therapist's office, she did on the way home. She tends toward motion sickness and the combination of movements overwhelmed her. I was surprised, when she vomited, that she still had food in her stomach to release and pleased to note that there was no blood.
    I am learning a great deal about my mother's resilience and her spiritual strength from observing these appointments. She continues to amaze me. How lucky I am to be able to tend to her during this part of her life.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?