Saturday, March 27, 2004

 

The prologue to the question/advice, was subtle, as typical...

...although, recently, I've encountered more than a few who aren't quite as subtle, who dispense with the prologue. First some questions posed to me:
  1. Do you have any friends around here?
  2. Do you have any support?
    Both questions are usually asked even though they are the same question. The thing is, I fall for it every time, probably because the strategy is neither conscious nor malicious. So, I answer:
  1. Yes (usually answered with a self-conscious smirk), sometimes too many!
  2. If I needed it desperately, probably, but casual support (i.e., someone who comes in and babysits Mom for me, or a day care program lined up), not much, no.
    At this point, typically the inquirer will launch into some version of, "on airplanes, parents are advised to don their own oxygen mask first...you can't take care of someone else unless you first take care of yourself", you know how this goes. You've probably either heard it or said it, probably to someone you thought was an overextended caregiver.
    Mom just arose. I'll continue...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?