Tuesday, March 16, 2004

 

The official spelling is...

...Feldenkrais and I've listed the address for the official Feldenkrais Movement Studies Institute on the Information & Resources page.
    Today, I think, will be a "medium" day. If she isn't up by 1000 I'll call her but I've already heard a reconnaissance cough so she may be up earlier. I allowed her to go to bed after only 2 quarts of liquid (the recommended minimum amount of fluid in any form including soupy meals, cottage cheese, etc., to administer daily to the easily dehydrated elderly). Her normal daily intake approaches 3 quarts but she's retaining it better right now.
    She's dropped 2 pounds and may have dropped another pound after yesterday's spontaneous bowel cleansing so I'm judiciously adding fats to her diet and a few more starches. Gotta watch it with those blueberries, though. I keep forgetting that berries are a natural laxative.
    I intend to get her moving by taking her to Costco to see the selection of ready-to-plant roses and allow her to decide if she wants any others besides the one I purchased yesterday. I'm also hoping that she'll feel spry enough that I'll feel comfortable taking today's acupuncture appointment. My thumbs really need it and I'm staying off the ibuprofen so it doesn't get in the way of the treatment.
    The Fairness Doctrine: MCF's bright, thoughtful, outspoken daughter asked me about Mom's acupuncture. After assuring her that it is very gentle I proceeded to describe session upon session of my own and my mother's which produced some discomfort and acupuncture points that didn't work. Wry young woman that she is, she picked up on this and asked me point blank, "Are you sure it's doing you and your mother any good?"
    I had to stop and think. Well, yes, my foot pain is almost gone as well as my right shoulder kink and I didn't even mention those to the acupuncturist. My mother feels significant relief after her appointments for 36 hours or more. This allows her to move more and strengthen her muscles. While it's true that every single treatment I've experienced involving the needles (the acupuncturist has used other techniques on me, too) has been, to say the least, dynamic, always surprisingly, unpleasurably so, any discomfort is easily absorbed, endurable, and, frankly, from my mother's reactions during her treatments, she rarely experiences even close to the discomfort I've experienced during treatment.
    In acupuncturist lingo, I was harboring "a lot of pathogens". One is apparently recalcitrant. I've been searching (strictly under my own auspices) myself for emotional connections to this reluctant pathogen and think I know to what it might be connected. Unfortunately, I also know that it is connected to an issue that won't be resolved soon. I'm hoping (against hope this time which, considering my nature, sometimes works for me) that just my awareness of it will help release the pathogen. As a footnote, so I don't inadvertently slander my acupuncturist's good name, the idea of searching for an emotional manifestation of a physical pathogen was not something she suggested. I picked this up off a television family drama Mom watches regularly that, this season, happens to be featuring a character who practices acupuncture and has made mention of the "underlying emotional component" to any particular dis-ease that needs to be addressed for complete healing to occur. At one point last session, I believe, because I thought it might be a factor, I mentioned, during the diagnosis part of the treatment (our acupuncturist rediagnoses each time), that I was in the process of "actively hating someone, with full consciousness", suggesting that maybe this was a factor in my stubborn thumbs (although, frankly, there isn't an easy connection, here). She looked at me as some non-alternative healers have looked at me when I say things like, "I'm using cinnamon to lower her blood sugar and I think it's working," shook her head and quickly dismissed that idea. Today, though, I think that I have my finger (specifically, my thumb) on an underlying emotional connection to this disability so I think I'll run it by her.
    It sounds like arousal is taking place in the sunny middle bedroom. I'll probably check back...
...Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?