Tuesday, March 9, 2004

 

The news is...

...Mom awoke on her own at a little after 0800 today! I heard one reconnaissance cough, then another, then another, until I peaked around her door frame at 0815. She was leaning against the wall, prone, in the position she usually takes before scouting the bottom sheet for wet spots and moving toward the other edge of the bed to arise.
    "My goodness, girl! Are you ready to get up?"
    "May as well..."
    "Can't dance."
    And up she arose.
    Her blood sugar was a bit high, 149. I wracked my brain trying to figure out why it may have soared this morning. About halfway through preparing breakfast I remembered that we'd both been so hungry last night that after I prepared a dinner of quick beef stroganoff (a salty meal, specifically so that we'd get some sodium in her system since she was having trouble holding onto fluid yesterday) we chowed down without remembering her metformin (although I did remember to give her glipizide since that comes a half hour before the meal). Considering that she had neither her typical 500 mg of metformin nor her iron, her blood sugar reading this morning is actually pretty good. Her color looks much better than I'd expect, not having had her iron and being off oxygen for almost 2 hours.
    It's happening. She's healing, again. We're off to a great start today. I'm going to get her moving around. We've got several pleasure pursuits planned: Doing her hair; doing her nails; an extra leg rub, as I've discovered that when she lags during the day these get her going again. Tomorrow we'll be heading for Mesa again for the results of the ultra sound.
    It's also acupuncture day. We haven't decided yet who's going. Right now though, we're going to return MCS's early call when Mom awoke. Something tells me it's going to be a full day for both of us. Good, good news!
    Short note: Her Mesa PCP (now her only PCP) has put her on Prilosec OTC once a day to help control stomach irritation in case this was the cause of her recent bout with anemia. He mentioned that although the package says it is to be taken for only 14 days, "...she can take it forever, if necessary."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?