Tuesday, March 30, 2004

 

It finally occurred to me this morning...

...that, perhaps the reason my mother was annoyed with life yesterday is that over the weekend we were expecting company and company didn't come. The first cancellation was my doing. I wasn't sure that Mom would be mobile enough to really enjoy company, to allow them to lift her from out of her discomfort. The second group of company promised themselves on Friday afternoon and cancelled Saturday afternoon. When they cancelled my mother heaved a sigh of relief, which is unusual for her when there is the promise of company. I think, though, this may have been a habitual response and that she was actually disappointed that no one showed this weekend.
    This afternoon is an acupuncture appointment. As much as I think my mother could use the gentle ministrations of an acupunctural tune-up, today I think my body needs it worse so I'm going. Tonight is a book club meeting. I'm hoping we will be going. I haven't read the book but I believe both my mother and I could use the trip "out" and it will be wonderful to see my book club friends again. I'm going to force-awaken her this morning earlier than usual and try to engineer an entire "normal" day so that she'll have been fed, watered, adequately napped and ready for a three hour visit this evening.
    Although she now tends to avoid "doings at night" she has always been and remains a person who likes the idea of heading out into the world as the sun sets. I think this is why she's still in the habit of checking her watch frequently. A couple of years ago I began teasing her every time she looked at her watch, "Do you have a date?" She always answers yes. Although my mother has the history of a quietly (except in the Navy) proud woman who has been admired for both her inherited and put-together appearance, I'm beginning to think that the important aspect of "going out at night" for my mother is not who takes her but getting to the place where the night comes alive.
    Well, we'll see how today unfolds. I'm not looking forward to the extra nurturing involved in getting my mother out the door this evening, which will begin as soon as I awaken her. Last night I was considering forgetting about the book club meeting because I didn't think I could face extending even closer attention to my mother. I guess, all I needed was some rest. I feel up to it this morning. I'm looking forward to my mother saying tonight, as she always does when we return from the book club, "You know, that's a good bunch of women. I always enjoy the book club meetings." That'll top off the day like ancho chili sauce on a slab of pot roast.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?