Wednesday, March 17, 2004

 

I'll be making blueberry muffins, soon...

...from scratch, loads of fresh blueberries, half whole grain wheat flour. I'll bet our company will prefer these to pancakes. It will be easy to get Mom up today. All I'll have to do is say the word "visitors".
    Mom cheerfully eats healthily if everyone is eating healthily; well, within reason. Her taste for vegetables has developed late in life and her taste for sugar has been, well, modified is a good word. The ebb and flow of dementia and/or illness always makes it easier to adjust her diet. I never in my life thought I'd see her licking her chops over a chef's salad nor did I think she'd ever stop thinking about chocolate on a daily basis. Slowing down helps some, too. She has kept her mid-central farm appestat: In that part of the country one "builds" an appetite. I'm glad she's always been in the habit of taking supplements. Her mother was, too.
    I noticed last night in bright living room light with the setting sun hitting her right side the return of the peach skin undertone. Anemia bleeds this layer of color. When her body is processing (or, for that matter, not processing) iron anemically, she looks like she's wearing blush (iron supplementation) over paper white skin. We've also stepped up the use of the OTC allergy eye drops, Opcon A. They seem to help. I don't notice nearly as many balled up tissues lying around when we use those 2 to 3 times a day.
    I haven't checked on her yet. I'm making so much noise out here that she's probably peripherally aware that a promising day has begun.
    I've begun to revise and update the medication schedule. I'll be publishing that url in a few days.
    My thumbs are, well, as my mother would say, "Still there."
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?