Friday, March 19, 2004

 

I forgot to mention Mom's smoking,

or, rather, lack of it, which was a surprise. Normally when she's tired she smokes more. Although certainly engaged with our company she was tired throughout their visit. I think she spent only a couple hours outside. For the most part was too tired to eat much, although she snacked enthusiastically. She forgot, though, to smoke for long periods of time. I try to control her morning wake-up-and-get-going routine so that she sails through breakfast (a good 2 hour sojourn, a half hour of which is devoted to getting her out of bed) before remembering to smoke. Sometimes my manipulations don't work (manipulations which include hiding cigarettes, hiding ashtrays, engaging her in animated discussions about what the day looks like outside and what plans we do and could have). Company distracted her enough though, over the last 36 hours, that she simply didn't smoke much. I don't think MPS and her daughter ever had to ask Mom to put out a cigarette. She did chain smoke outside in the back yard Wednesday evening, but that was it.
    She seems to really enjoy fruit muffins so I think I'll experiment with making one more batch of blueberry muffins, this time with Splenda®. Despite the package directions which recommend using Splenda® measure-for-measure in place of sugar, we discovered a couple of months ago as we ruined one of our favorite light desserts that measure-for-measure renders a sickly sweet product. I'm making the muffins with half whole grain whole wheat flour, as usual, and sweet butter rather than magarine. She can use the calories although not the sugar.
    Mom has her second therapy appointment today. She'll probably sleep most of the afternoon. I decided this morning, looking in on her and noticing the depth of her sleep and breathing, that if she isn't up before 1000 of her own accord I'll let her sleep till I absolutely have to get her up for her appointment. We need to do her hair as well as all else but that should help perk her up for her appointment.
    I'm going to attempt to incorporate her into some supervisory yard work this weekend. Being outside boosts her spirits like nothing else and the weather has been so beautiful that our neighborhood is invitingly active. She has a perennial problem with cold feet (which seems to have passed itself onto at least one of my nieces) so if she's up for a shopping trip this weekend we're going to look for some wool/silk blend socks or some made of polypropelene glycol fibers.
    I'm also hoping to find some time this weekend to polish off the Doctors and Patience presentation (into which it has morphed) and post that. And there's some miscellaneous cleaning to do...you know the drill.
    It's true, as I told MPS and her daughter this weekend. I'm profoundly satisfied with my life right now all of it even the part of me that is engaged in active hate. Everything feels good. Everything feels absolutely right.
    Amazing. Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?