Sunday, March 7, 2004

 

Again, it's been awhile...

...much longer than I intended. Had two more Christmas Card snows that were gone within 24 hours. We've been to Mesa twice, once last week to renew our relationship with her Mesa PCP. Yep, my mother was "discharged" from our Prescott PCP's care because I refused to allow this doctor's partner to endoscope her. Since this physician has done nothing but renew my mother's prescription for blood test strips and write another prescription for physical therapy which the discharge pulled out from underneath her, I was neither surprised nor upset. There will be more here about this, shortly, in the essay section. The Prescott PCP's letter and the circumstances of this physician's "care" of my mother set my "Doctors and Patience" essay up perfectly, gave it some organization and it's close to ready to load. I almost loaded it last week. I'm glad I couldn't find the time. Our visit to Mesa added some detail to it.
    In the meantime, my mother continues to improve under my and the acupuncturist's care, so much that I've taken two of her appointments to have my thumbs treated with very good results. I'm planning on taking a few more appointments as well. I've had a problem with my feet for years, since I was a teenager, actually. I assumed it was because some bones in the tops of my feet were broken and I've simply borne it, moving anyway, sometimes with great pain. I didn't mention this to the acupuncturist. Despite not mentioning it this problem seems to have been licked. My thumb problem (which is how I refer to it, since it is primarily my thumbs that are affected by the tendon problem) is a bit more recalcitrant but coming along.
    The most interesting aspect of the treatments is that I've been able to acquire a sensual understanding of what my mother's treatments are like. During the first treatment the acupuncturist placed needles all over me...arms, legs, top of the head. She activated what I can only describe as a web of energy. Once the needles were inserted she told me to lay and relax for fifteen minutes. As I said, "O.K." I lifted my right index finger and moved my left big toe. Yeow! The only way I can describe what I felt was that it was as though I had been zapped by a current of electricity (which has happened to me), running in a specific pattern throughout my body. Incredible feeling! Not painful but not comfortable, either. I was held tight in the web; couldn't move without zapping myself. I accidentally zapped myself once more and noticed that, each time, I was getting a mental picture of web strands throughout my body colored just-this-side-of-white lavender-to-the-blue and shimmering.
    The second time the needles were placed at what I assume were primary points and stung for a second or two, except for one of two on the top of my head, the one closest to my forehead, which stung for a good 20 seconds. Didn't get the "web" feeling, but got a mental picture of shimmering pure red.
    Last week I took my mother in for a "tune-up" before our visit to her Mesa PCP. I'm not sure who'll be visiting the acupuncturist this week.
    My mother's performance this week has been amazing. Despite having some difficulty getting around, when we were in Mesa she insisted on walking everywhere we went rather than using the wheelchair. She still bends a bit to the right although that is improving. Some mornings she is able to stand practically straight. Her blood pressure was excellent on Thursday. I'm not sure if she's still anemic. We'll find out next Wednesday when we return for the results of an abdominal ultrasound done to determine whether or not she has a "mild" abdominal aortic aneurysm that her former Prescott PCP chose to clue us into in the discharge letter. She had to lay on her back for this test and did fairly well since she was on oxygen. She can't rise from this position herself, but the acupuncturist had her on her back for her last treatment and although she coughed because I hadn't brought the oxygen. She didn't want it and I didn't think she'd need it although if I'd known she was going to be treated on her back I would have brought it. She was able to raise from laying on her back while I held her arms and counseled her to tighten her abdominals.
    I've done my reading on abdominal aortic aneurysms. If she has one, "mild" would refer to its size, which would be well under 5 cm. The typical treatment is to "watch" it. The main problem associated with "mild" aneurysms is that clots can form at the site of the aneurysm, break off and travel to other parts of the body. The secondary problem, which can become the primary problem depending on the size of the aneurysm, is rupture.
    The truth is, I'm wondering if she has one, at all. Apparently, according to the discharge letter, the possibility of the existence of this aneurysm was mentioned in the x-ray report from 10/27/04 when she was treated in the ER for her back. I'm a little surprised that her former Prescott PCP didn't requisition these x-rays sooner. I wonder, now, if they would have been requisitioned at all if we'd continued under this physician's care. I never asked for a copy of this report because the technician, after x-raying my mother, seemed to be very complete in his verbal report, mentioning several conditions about which I already knew from previous x-rays. Now I think I'll get a copy of the report for us just out of curiosity. At the same time I'm also going to request a written copy of the colonoscopy report as I'm beginning to wonder if the internist who did my mother's colonoscopy wrote the same information in the report that I received from her verbally, face-to-face, immediately after the procedure.
    Oh, just to mention it for those of my sisters checking in to whom I haven't talked in awhile, yes, we have a new prescription for physical therapy with the same therapist our Prescott PCP pulled out from underneath us. The Eval & Treat will probably take place this week.
    After a very good day in Mesa on Friday and a day spent in bed yesterday which tried my patience, today Mom and I went to Costco to pick up some small items. We took the wheelchair. I assured her that my only request was that she use it as a walker on our way in and out. Otherwise, she could ride through the store. She insisted, though, on walking throughout the store. We made a complete circle of the warehouse, which was necessary, as the four items we needed were, of course, at each of the four corners. Our progress wasn't even as slow as I expected. I was amazed. She was not. She had no desire to ride until we reached the check-out counter. Afterwards it was impossible to get her past the luncheonette without replenishing her with a polish sausage with sauerkraut and a diet soda. Expecting this, I'd brought her metformin and iron. We ate and people-watched and I couldn't help but admire her color and her mood. On our way out one of the door attendants who checks receipts and has noticed my mother's zig-zag progress throughout the past few months, often asking after her when I show up at Costco alone (several of the employees, in fact, do this), mentioned to my mother that she was "so happy" to see her traipse about the store today and congratulated her on her progress. Mom beamed all the way home. Once we arrived home and she was settled in her rocking chair she said, "I always feel so good after we go to that store!"
    Friday evening just before we left Mesa our divine next door neighbor appeared and waylaid me while I was packing up the car, wanting to know how we'd been. I briefed her on what had happened since we left last September and why she hadn't seen us since. My mother ventured out to admire the sunset while our neighbor and I were talking. Our neighbor made over her, took my mother's face tenderly in her hands and kissed her, telling her how worried she'd been and how glad she was that Mom was looking so good. "We can't have you leaving us, yet, dear," she said, "we all depend on you being here."
    My mother laughed. "Oh, don't worry. I'll be here for a long time."
    I'm thinking she might be right.
    It takes a village to care for Ancient Ones. Between Prescott and Mesa I think Mom and I have stumbled upon exactly the right village.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?