Wednesday, February 18, 2004

 

New Blood Test Results...

...here. Very little changed from 1/12/04 and 2/10/04. The dropping of Mom's BUN back into the normal range is optimistic. Most values crept closer to normal. The Immunofixations look good. I wasn't sure what I was expecting. I knew I was allowing my mother's body to work on her anemia without outside help but with the boost of keeping her away from anything that might be caustic to the stomach lining. "Without help" included not starting her on iron ingestion therapy until the evening of 2/10/04 with Floradix, which delivers a significantly lower dose of iron. I believe it is helping despite the fact that Mom's hematologist, whom we saw yesterday in Mesa, was skeptical about it's value. "We normally give a 325 mg pill a day," he said. I know. And at one time, my mother was taking three of those pills without results. As far as I'm concerned, we'll try this.
    I noticed this morning that I can get ferrous gluconate in 50 mg pills which promise to be "gentle to the digestion" for a significantly lower price. I think at this time I'll stick to the Floradix a total of 45 mg per day, which is 100% more than is required daily. I read someplace else this morning that iron overdose, while rarely a problem in adults (although, once again, "certain risks" can accrue to "the elderly") can be determined by a "blue" or "maroon" tinge around the lips, at which point one should contact one's physician. This has happened to Mom. I simply stopped the iron for a day or so and the tinge disappeared. Despite no physician ever mentioning this to me, a blue/maroon tinged lip line didn't seem like an indication of health to me.
    MCS and I discussed the results thoroughly which discussion I'll post, probably later this evening. As well, there's more I intend to mention, but, well...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?