Saturday, February 21, 2004

 

More Recording:

    My mother is up but not for long, I think. She's smoking. I'm performing the usual after-arising water torture on her and she doesn't seem particularly interested in staying up. She's telling me that she is so tired that she may remain in bed for the night, which would be okay. She's suffering from some lung congestion. I think she may have a bit of a cold. I've got her on guaifenex, which tends to enwrap her in mental angel hair as it relieves her congestion. I've warned her that if she is up for longer than 45 minutes, she gets glipizide and must eat. We'll see what happens.
    My primary reason for checking in, though, is to record her latest blood sugar reading. Normally I wouldn't be taking it at this time, although it's not completely unheard of for me to take a reading within 2h 40min after she eats if I suspect that her blood sugar might be soaring; if, for instance, I've not given her 500 mg of metformin at lunch.
    As it turns out, without the metformin and with the 1/4 tsp of cinnamon her blood sugar 2h and 40min out from lunch is 123. Although technically high, a typical out of range blood sugar, considering what she ate and her lack of metformin, would be in the high 150's to high 160's; maybe the high 140's if she'd moved a bit. Definitely not 123 unless we'd had a wheel-chair-therapy session and then it would more likely be in the 130's.
    If Mom doesn't eat, tonight before going back to bed (which is allowed...if she's not moving much she doesn't need to eat much), I'd expect her morning blood sugar reading to be anywhere from normal into the 120's. We'll see.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?