Saturday, February 21, 2004

 

At 12:22 p.m. my mother's first blood sugar reading of the day was 127.

    And, yes. Sometimes it takes a little over an hour of welcoming my mother to the morning to get her started. Most of the time I take her blood sugar right after I awaken her in bed but this morning she was up on her elbows, glasses on, interested in talking about the view out her window and I actually forgot to apply the needle to her finger until she was naked, in the bathroom, ready for cleansing.
    127 is excellent considering what she did and didn't ingest yesterday: The former category including chocolate cake with 850 mg Glucophage and popcorn, V-8 juice, toast and cottage cheese throughout the rest of the day, and, she told me this morning that she had a second piece of cake "while you were asleep on the floor". I thought the cake looked a bit smaller this morning. The latter category included her evening glipizide, metformin and some kind of reliably balanced meal after breakfast.
    I've been having delightful fantasies this morning about the possibility of being able to control my mother's blood sugar completely with cinnamon. This morning I carefully measured out her "dose", 1/4 teaspoon. As it turns out, that is less than I've been putting on her toast every morning for some months, now. I didn't increase the "dose", though. I'm going to spread the cinnamon throughout the day, 1/4 teaspoon in the middle of her day, probably in her V-8 juice, and another 1/4 teaspoon in the evening. I am going to slowly decrease her metformin while increasing her cinnamon unless her blood sugar begins to show that I can cut it back more drastically or shouldn't cut back any more. The fulfillment of my fantasy will take place when I am able to (dream big, Gail) take her off all her diabetic medication that isn't of the food variety. I even have a wicked scenario tucked behind this one about how her mainstream physicians (except maybe one) will find my control of her blood sugar with cinnamon scandalous and will try to subvert my efforts by pulling stunts like refusing prescriptions for blood sugar testing strips; refusing to attend to her if she, at some point, needs critical care, because, with my presence in the hospital (my presence at her in-hospital bedside, since her overnight stay alone in Banner Health Hospital in Mesa in September of 2002, is virtually assured) and attendance to her blood glucose tests, they will have to administer their typical diabetic medications and I won't allow this, and they won't allow a non-doctor to treat a patient despite the fact that this non-doctor has been treating this patient with much more success than mainstream doctors for 3 years, now...I do go on, don't I? What can I say...I'm a fantasy type of girl, and this one is especially delicious. I'd love to hear just one mainstream physician say, "I can't treat your mother because you refuse to treat her with medicine!" Just once.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?